Wednesday 22 October 2008

Chillies and other things


It's been a good year for the majority of my Chilli plants and despite the lack of sunshine most of the fruits have ripened (but there are more to come). For the first time I'm growing two small fruited types for drying. The one pictured is Thai Hot (I think) and the other is Trifetti. My bigger yellow Chilli has been quite prolific and I have a nice bag of fruits in the freezer. It's on it's second flush of flowering and fruiting now and I hope it will continue to flourish on the kitchen windowsill. The only disappointment has been Sicily which bore very few fruits. I won't be growing it again next year.
I've harvested more seeds in the last few days including Tree Spinach, Allium Tuberosum and Sweet Basil. The only seeds left to harvest are from Coriander,Fennel and Parsley and I hope to gather these at the weekend. The Alpine Strawberries and Physalis continue to produce the odd fruits but I've eaten the last of the Tomatoes. I've cut down the autumn Raspberry canes and planted a thornless Blackberry and both have been given a good mulch of leaf mould.
I still have a number of annuals flowering including Heliotrope, Laurentia, Thunbergia and Nicotiana and there is colour showing on the buds of the Pineapple Sage and Chrysanthemums. And one of my spring bulbs has poked its head about 1cm above the soil. It's in a mixed pot of Eranthis and Snowdrop so I'm not sure which it is yet but it's probably the Snowdrop. I also have Primroses and Toad Lilies out, along with hardy Fuchsias which are putting on a good show of late colour. So it still looks good out there.
Georgie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't eat chillies so I don't grow them.
I see that you've been busy, and you're lucky to still have some flowering annuals.
There's been some frosts on the allotment so just about everything there has finished. xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Flighty. That's a very good reason not to grow them I'd say! One of the benefits of having a narrow London garden is that it is fairly sheltered and frosts are rare. Last year I over-wintered half-hardy Fuchsias and Pelargoniums outside in pots for instance. On the other hand I can't grow half the things I'd like to so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

G x

Anonymous said...

The allotment site is pretty exposed and my plot is right in the middle so it gets well frosty!
As you say it's all give and take! xx