Sunday 26 October 2008

More winter colour


I planted up this simple arrangement of Carex and yellow Pansies a couple of weeks ago to bring some much needed colour to the garden over the winter months. I have another one in a slightly smaller pot, three with Pennisetum and Pansies and one with a Hebe cutting and Pansies too. This just left the window box to sort out so, despite the pouring rain, I took myself off to the nursery. I decided to buy a new, deeper window box and bought 3 Solanum pseudocapsicums (Winter Cherry) and two Ivies to plant in it. The whole lot came to just over £12 which I thought was a bargain. I know the Solanum are not fully hardy but I'm hoping the spot they are in will provide sufficient shelter for them to survive. Watch this space!
Very early this year I had a problem with whitefly and aphids in the greenhouse. So I've decided to experiment by over-wintering Tagetes as a deterrent. I sowed some seeds two weeks back and they were ready for pricking out today. I got 8 seedlings from 10 seeds. Five are now in individual 9cm pots standing in a gravel tray in the sunny greenhouse and the other three are in the shady greenhouse. My biggest concern is that they will get eaten by slugs/snails before they get a chance to establish but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Georgie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the look of that, with the colours and shapes being a little different to what is usually seen.
Fingers crossed with the Tagetes survive and prosper. xx

Carole said...

Thanks Flighty.

G x