Saturday 2 August 2008

Harvest


I've picked this crop for a picnic tomorrow. At long last I have my first Cucumber of the season, Burpless Tasty Green, and also pictured are Micro Tomatoes, Spring Onions, Physallis and two Alpine Strawberries. There are a few more Strawberries that are nearly ripe so I'll check again tomorrow before I leave.
I spotted a few tadpoles swimming around today but they are still showing no sign of developing their back legs. And once again the only Butterflies I spotted were whites. On the plus side the Bees and Hoverflies continue to work the flowers and thankfully there is little sign of pests or diseases .
New flowers out this week include Fuchsia Tom Thumb, Milk Thistle and Eucomis. The Agastache is now in bud, I've got two Chilli Thai Hot fruits ripening and the Passiflora is covered in the biggest fruits I've ever seen on it: they are the size of limes!
I am continuing to collect my own seeds and some that I sowed last week, including Chives and Hesperis, have started to germinate already. All of the Wallflower seedlings I pricked out have survived and are looking healthy. They each have four true leaves now so I'll pinch them out soon in the hope that I get nice bushy plants.
Georgie

No comments: