Saturday 9 August 2008

Rained Off


It's been raining most of the day here and as much as it is needed it's a bit annoying because I'd hoped to do some potting on and sow some Beetroot, Mooli and Spring Onions for autumn crops.
The picture is of my Eucomis, the first time I've tried growing it. It's aptly known as the Pineapple Lily and I think it is rather splendid. It's a shame it isn't scented. However, the Heliotropes are in full flower now and smell absolutely gorgeous so that makes up for it, now that the scented Lilies and Jasmine have all but finished. Also in flower this week are Agastache and Fuchsia Happy Wedding Day - this biggest flowers I've ever seen on a Fuchsia! And at long last I've got buds showing on my dwarf Sunflowers.
On the edibles front the Alpine Strawberries are cropping well. I've got lots of Cucumbers developing - Burpless Tasty Green and Crystal Lemon - and Micro Tomato continues to flourish unlike Tiny Tim whose fruits are disappointing this year. I'm getting a few ripe Physallis every day and I've picked the first of the autumn fruiting Raspberries.
I've just read in a magazine that died lavender flowers and leaves spread around plants deter slugs and snails (I assume it's the oil the don't like) so I'm going to give that a go next time I plant out anything vulnerable. If it works I suspect Rosemary leaves might also be affective. So as I have to keep my huge bush in the front garden well pruned I might try those too.
Georgie

No comments: