Sunday 9 November 2008

Wildlife gardening


Hurrah it's been fine here today so I managed to get into the garden for a few hours. I took this snap of the Chrysanthemum which is brightening up the shady corner and at long last found room to plant the Allium Purple Sensation bulbs in the sunny border. Then I cut back the three remaining outdoor tender Fuchsias (Swingtime), potted them up and popped them into the greenhouse for over-wintering.
As I was sweeping up leaves and picking them out of the pots etc I hit on a good idea: I've put a bell cloche over the water feature to keep the leaves out. I'll only leave it in place until the leaves have finished dropping and meanwhile there are two other sources of water for birds and wildlife - another ground level dish by the Ivy and a dish on the bird feeding station.
Having cut back the Sunflowers I made two shelters for beneficial insects made up of a mixture of hollow stemmed plant stalks. The first I tied in a bundle and fixed in the Forsythia by the fence and the second I put inside a terracotta pot and placed it at ground level under the Ivy. Then, inspired by an article in a garden magazine, I made a bumblebee pot which I half buried in ground by the fence in the sunny border. It's just an inverted terracotta pot stuffed with dry grass with a bit of moss by the hole (inside the pot) which will allow access but keep the grass dry.
Georgie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope all the little bees like it

Anonymous said...

you have to let us know if bees use it

Carole said...

I'll keep a look out and report back. I have no idea how I'll tell if I don't see them tho'.

G x

Anonymous said...

As you know I do like that Chrysanthemum!
My plot was far too soggy on Sunday to do anything. I consider it to be a wildlife plot so reading entries like this is always of interest.
Have a look at your bumblebee pot on a warm day in the spring and you're likely to see them going and coming.xx