Saturday 15 November 2008

A few more jobs done


It's mild and murky here today so I managed to get quite a few jobs done. It's just as well I took this photo when I did because today I noticed all the seed heads on the Fatsia have dropped off and the snails have been eating the petals of the Chrysanthemums again. I'm assuming the snails are also to blame for all the buds on Pineapple Sage being eaten. Such a shame.
I emptied lots more pots of things that have gone over in the veg plot - a boring and break-breaking job - and had a good sweep up of leaves. All the brilliant red leaves on the Acer have now dropped but it's good to see there is still plenty of autumn colour, particularly on the Cotoneaster and Jasmine. I had a bit of a tidy up in the sunny border and put some more Pyracantha cuttings down where plants have died down for the winter to stop my cat from scratching up the soil.
On the edibles front I was pleased to see that the Peas I sowed on 2 November have germinated and the Chilli Thai Hot on the kitchen windowsill is covered in flower buds again. The Alpine Strawberries are still flowering/fruiting and surprisingly all the autumn Raspberry canes which have been cut down have new shoots! The Parsley seedlings in the greenhouse are still tiny though so I couldn't prick them out.
Flower-wise the Laurentia continues to look colourful, the winter Pansies and Cyclamen are well established, the Primroses are out, there are still plenty of Fuchsias around and I have leaves poking above the soil on two Narcissus - Tete a Tete and Chinita.
I reorganised some of the pots again - more heavy work - but it's nice to be able to bring things to the fore that are at their best whilst hiding others behind them. I'd like to take some more photos but my camera is playing up. I might have to write a letter to Santa!
Georgie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

santa only comes for good girls.

Anonymous said...

Hi G, all i can say is great, your a fine gardener,
keep up the good work

windy

Anonymous said...

Well done Georgie, all your hard work will result in so much pleasure for you next summer.
I wish that I could say that I've been half as busy as that! I really must shake off my inclination to hibernate at this time of year. xx

Carole said...

Thanks for your comments folks. It's just as well I did all that yesterday as today it's drizzly and quite unpleasant. Still, I felt I needed to get out so I took myself off to the nursery for a potter around and treated myself to a new hand fork. :)

G x