Saturday 8 November 2008

More autumn colour


This is the best year I can remember for autumn colour in the garden. The photo is of part of my Jasmine which is a picture at the moment as are many of the other deciduous shrubs. The Chrysanthemums are out in all their glory and the seed heads on the Fatsia and Ivy are very attractive too.

Minor disaster on the Tagetes experiment front. Two out of the three seedlings in the shady greenhouse have been eaten by slugs. So I've put the remaining one in with the five in the sunny greenhouse which are standing in a gravel tray and have so far been unaffected.

It was too wet to do anything in the garden today so I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow. I've got lots of pots to empty now that things have gone over and all my Lilies need re-potting or at least top dressing. I also need to bring the Sunflower seed heads into the greenhouse to dry off and then tie the stems into bundles to hide in the Ivy to provide homes for over-wintering beneficial insects.

Georgie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly is a colourful autumn!
I see that you've been busy, there's always something to do isn't there.
It's looking okay at the moment so hopefully you'll be able to do what you what.
The birds have stripped all my sunflower heads but I'll do the same as you with the stems.
I was busy on the plot during the week. xx

Carole said...

Hi Flighty. The birds haven't tounched my Sunflowers for some strange reason, I can only assume the passion fruits make easier pickings at the moment. Once the seeds are dry I'll keep a few for next year and put the remainder in a bird feeder.

G x