Sunday 23 November 2008

In the beginning


This is how my garden looked in April 2005 after I'd widened the border, mulched it with cocoa shells and started to cover the concrete path with pots. As you can see, all I had then was a few established shrubs by the fence and about 20 pots. Three years on it's like a jungle and I still can't stop buying plants!
I went to the local nursery yesterday and fell in love with a beautiful Photinia x fraseri 'Little Red Robin'. It is a mature specimen and is going the brighten up the shady border no end over winter. I also bought two good sized Skimmia confusa 'Kew Green' plants and then I spotted that the spring bulbs were reduced to half price. Not one to miss a bargain I picked up some English bluebells, Hermodactylus Tuberosa and Allium Schubertii. Where am I going to put them all? Goodness knows! Finally I couldn't resist a quick peep at the seeds and spotted an annual herb called Madia Elegans. According to the blurb the foliage smells like a tropical fruit salad so I couldn't resist a packet.
We had a very light covering of snow first thing but it soon melted. It's been very cold though so it was not a day for gardening. I had a quick walk around and I was pleased to see that the Peas are all looking sturdy under their cloche. I picked and ate 4 Alpine Strawberries - they are still flowering/fruiting - and noted that lots more Snowdrops and dwarf Iris are emerging above the soil.
I hope it's a bit milder tomorrow because I need to pot up the three bare rooted Hostas I ordered which arrived yesterday. Then all I need to do is find somewhere to put them!
Georgie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't think it's the same garden, Georgie.

Your before pics look very much like my garden at the moment, lots of bare fencing. It's practical at the moment though. My garden is wider than yours, and on two levels. The top part is turfed and very bare, but it's where my son plays his cricket and where my daughter does her handstands!!! My greenhouse is in this area.

The bottom part is flagged with a raised border where I grow mainly annuals. My daughter has a playhouse in this area and I have all my containers housing veg and flowers.

Because of the practicality of the garden at the moment (kids), it does look quite stark with the fencing all around it. I plan to get some quite narrow beds around the grassed area and get some plants growing up the fencing. I'm sure that this will soften up the look of the garden, as well as providing some cover for wildlife.

Your before pics look like a very neat garden, but I much prefer the look you have now. There seems to be so much interest in your garden.

There I go again G, I've wrote an essay!!!!

Jo.

Carole said...

LOL, Jo, I love reading your musings. Your garden sounds ideal for children but bare fences are boring aren't they? The difficulty I've had (with such a narrow garden) is finding things that will grow up but not out too much. Ivy is good if you keep it well trimmed and you can get some lovely colour ways. It's also tough and good for wildlife. And for a bit of colour there are lots of annuals which are easy to grow and romp away. I recommend Tree Spinach, Ipomoea, Thunbergia and Nasturtiums. Hope this helps.

G x

Anonymous said...

You must be well pleased with what you've achieved!
It's clear from your enties that you have a real love of gardening and your garden so long may it continue! xx

Carole said...

Awww Flighty, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much. Yes I do love my little garden. I've always enjoyed growing things since I was a little girl but these last few years I've been bitten by the gardening bug big time. There is always something new to learn or try out and I've made so many friends - both in cyber and in real life - through this hobby. I've got lots of other interests but gardening has to be one of my favourites.

G x