Monday 22 September 2008

Time for more planning


This is how the garden looked yesterday. There wasn't a great deal that needed doing so I took myself off to the local nursery armed with a shopping list. But the best laid plans are soon thwarted when you notice that there's a sale on - on this occasion 50% off terracotta planters. Five minutes later I'd bagged three good quality 30cm containers - two square and one round - which I've earmarked for spring bulbs.
But back to the shopping list. The first thing I needed was spring bulbs to replace some of those I lost last year. I ended up with 30 Narcissi (Jet Fire and Chinita), 30 Tulips (White Emperor, Yellow Emperor and Pieter De Leur), 20 Dutch Iris, 20 Crocus Ruby Giant and 5 Allium Purple Sensation.
The other thing I wanted was some plants for winter hanging baskets. However the selection wasn't very inspiring and in the end I was tempted by ready made baskets. There was a good selection but in the end I decided on five, each of which contained three white Cyclamen, three trailing ivy-like plants and one fine grass - probably some sort of Carex - in the centre. At £9.99 each I think these were a bargain.
There were a few other things on my list that they didn't have but no matter, there's plenty of time to get my annual flower seeds for next year, more river stones to top the pots and a new pair of shears in the coming months when it's too cold or wet to work in the garden.
Georgie

No comments: