Saturday 27 September 2008

Introducing Timmy Tiger


This is one of my cats, Timmy Tiger. He was a stray and came to live with us four years ago. He loves 'helping' me in the garden as you can see from the picture. I think he's saying: 'Please don't plant those bulbs. I don't like it when you put those nasty sharp Pyracantha cuttings on the borders to stop me digging them up.'

But I did plant the Dutch Iris and Crocus Ruby Giant. I couldn't find a space for the Allium Purple Sensation though, so I'll have to wait until some of the perennials have died down. The rest of the spring bulbs will be planted in pots over the course of the next few weeks.

I had a good tidy up in the veg plot today. I picked my final Crystal Lemon Cucumber and had it with my lunch; discarded the Tomatoes Tiny Tim; moved the Chilli pots onto the half barrels so they catch more sun; and took a few leaves of the Physalis plants to help the final fruits ripen.

All the plants in pots got a thorough watering which gave me chance to examine them at close quarters. There are lots of buds on the Chrysanthemum and the Fennel, Coriander and Fatsia are beginning to set seed. All five of my Cyclamen have survived over the summer and have lots of healthy new leaves with two in flower. And the Berginias have new glossy leaves too but they are all nibbled - I suspect snails.

The sad news is that I could see no sign of the tadpoles today. I moved the pond weed around a bit but nothing. I'll check again tomorrow but it's not looking good.

Georgie

No comments: