Sunday 1 November 2009

A wet and windy weekend


Although it is unseasonably mild, quite heavy rain over the last couple of days has meant that there was little scope for gardening (and probably just as well as I'm only just over the 'flu). But the sun did come out yesterday afternoon so I was able to go out and potter for an hour as well as take some photos.
Many of my containers have a number of fungi in them in gorgeous shades of cream and brown such as the one in the photo. They are tiny but so beautiful. I know nothing about fungi so I'm on the look out for a good illustrated book to help me identify them.
I picked the last of the Tomatoes and Chillies and thought that was the last of the edibles as I cut the Raspberry canes down to soil level. But no. As I was tidying up the Alpine Strawberries, one plant had about half a dozen fruits just beginning to ripen and quite a few flowers too. I've moved it to the patio area by the kitchen in the hope I get to eat the fruits before the slugs do!
The Fuchsias are showing no sign of slowing down and are a riot of colour with both flowers and the attractive, burgundy-coloured fruits. I've tried eating them but they are pretty tasteless so I just leave them and enjoy the display. The Pineapple Sage flowers are just beginning to open and Salvia 'hot lips' has flowered again.
There were a few bees, hoverflies and ladybirds around but sadly no late butterflies, despite all the nectar on offer from the Centratherum, Verbena Bonariensis and Ivy flowers. I think this has been the worst year ever for butterflies despite my best efforts to attract them. Still, there's always next year.
Georgie

2 comments:

Flighty said...

Like you I've now got fungi all over the place!
Shame about your paucity of butterflies as I thought that it was a good year for them. Fingers crossed for next year! xx

Jo said...

My Salvia-Hot Lips is flowering again too. I was quite surprised when I saw it the other day. My Fuchsia's are still going strong. They always seem to go on and on.