Sunday 15 November 2009

Nature knows best


This year I have been toying with removing the Buddleia from the sunny border. I bought the plant back in 2003 from J.Parker, who I have since learned is not one of the most reliable suppliers, particularly for shrubs. But way back then I was impressed by the photo of the plant which was grafted onto a three foot standard trunk and was billed as ideal for a patio. However, it didn't thrive in a container so I moved it into the border where it proceeded to rocket to ten feet or more in height (that's seven foot long branches on a three foot stem), no matter how often I pruned it in a season.
Anyway, I had been dithering so last night nature intervened. We'd had very gusty winds and heavy rain all day and when I went out in the garden today (bright sunshine and clear blue skies) the plant was at a 45 degree angle. That's it I thought, it has to go! First I cut off all the branches to a height of about 5 feet and filled three garden sacks. Then I broke/sawed off a few more of the thicker branches and then I started rocking the plant to expose the roots. The border is very closely planted and I didn't want to dislodge other plants so this was a tricky task and very hard work. As the roots broke through the soil I severed them and eventually got the thug out. And wow, what a difference it has made, the garden looks twice the size! But don't worry about the butterflies, I have another self-seeded Buddleia in large container next to the compost heap and shed. That one is not in the way so it can stay - for now.
The photo is of one of the blooms on the Pineapple Sage. It's so vivid and is a firm favourite of mine at this time of year. In fact I'm very fond of a number of plants in the Salvia family. It's a shame I don't have room to start a national collection but removing one Buddleia isn't going to crack it I'm afraid.
Georgie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a vivid colour!
It's always surprising what a difference it makes in a garden removing a shrub like that. I notice you don't mention what you're going to do with the space, not that you'll have any problem filling it I'm sure!
Flighty xx

Jo said...

That's a gorgeous red. I like the Salvia family too, my Hot Lips is still flowering, but the flowers are now all red and white, sometimes they can be just red and sometimes just white. I'm sure you've already decided what you're going to do with the space where the Buddleia was, haven't you?

Carole said...

The problem is it hasn't really left any space, being a standard. But it will mean that the space at the back of border will be much sunnier now and I have plenty of things I can try there next year, I 've just got to decide what.

G x

Ian said...

I had a similar experience with a Lavatera recently, though I left a bit in for the bees, who seem to love it.
See; http://bornagaingardener.blogspot.com/2009/10/chainsaw-gardening.html
for my account.
I put a Buddleia in this summer, supposed to be a dwarf one. . hope its not going to be rampant!

Carole said...

Hi Ian

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I've left you a message on yours. :)

G x

Unknown said...

Good Morning Georgie! How are you?
I am of Brazil, and I loved your blog, it is fantastic! In Brazil, I have a lot of plants, since vegetable to flowers! Afterware I created a blog, it is about plants and flowers too! I want to do a partnership with my blog and your blog! What do you think? Thank You. Matheus J. F.