Thursday 14 January 2010

Happy New Year


Like many other parts of the country (but unusually for London) we've had snow on the ground for over a week and only today is it beginning to disappear in the garden. So needless to say I've done nothing in the garden apart from top up the bird feeders and put out water for them. I haven't got any early bulbs out yet but hopefully it won't be long before the first Snowdrops and Narcissus come into flower.
I'm not sure if I've said before but I hope to plant a native tree as soon as the ground is workable. After a lot of thought I've decided on a Rowan (Mountain Ash) and I'm hoping to get one from my local nursery. I've never planted a tree before so I'll have to do some reading up before hand.
Another thing I was thinking of doing this year was putting in a slightly bigger, deeper pond. But thinking about it I'm convinced that I won't be able to dig a deep enough hole in the space available due to the many shrub roots. This is probably bad news for the frogs as I very much doubt the tadpoles will survive in the current pond if last year's experience is anything to go by. I suppose the alternative would be to install a raised pond, perhaps in a lined half barrel, with some sort of ladder for access? Looks like I'll have to do some research.
Finally I've joined the London Wildlife Trust and my membership pack arrived today. I haven't had a chance to read any of the literature yet but I'm hoping for lots of inspiration.
Georgie

3 comments:

Jo said...

Happy new year, Georgie. We had another snowfall overnight, I can't believe how long the snow is hanging around. I think my kid's school must be the only one which has remained open over the last two weeks. A local wildlife organisation sounds good, I'm sure there will be lots of information specific to your location which they will be able to provide. I'm hoping for some frogs in my pond this year. I had one which hung around for a little while last year but it would be nice to have some tadpoles.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, and what a nice post to start the year off with.
A rowan would be my choice as well!
A friend has belonged to the London Wildlife Trust for years. The website is excellent and listed as a link on my blog.
Flighty xx

Carole said...

Hi Jo, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some tadpoles this year.

Hi Flighty, I think it was you that put me onto the London Wildlife Trust because I've been using their website for a while now. I joined when I came across their stand at a recent exhibition and as I've got family membership I also got a lovely pack of stuff for the grandchildren too. So thanks.

G x